Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Winston Peter's letter to the Privileges Committee

26 August 2008

Mr Simon Power MP
Chairperson Privileges Committee
Parliament Buildings
Wellington

Dear Mr Power

I refer to Mr Owen Glenn's letter 19 August 2008.

I have not spoken to Mr Glenn since the New Zealand Herald article of 12 July earlier this year.
Addressing Mr Glenn's letter and in the less than 24 hours I and my staff have had to check the facts I can advise as follows:

Paras 1-3 require no response save the date 20 December 2005 in para 2 should, from Mr Henry's evidence, read 22 December.

Para 4, line 2 "at his request" is not factual and does not coincide with my recollections. I believe that I met Mr Glenn many years ago and on the weekend of 13 August, well before the 2005 election, in Sydney, Bledisloe Cup weekend which is the only time I met him in Australia. The "personal conversation" I believe relates to his conversation with Mr Henry, and the "Labour Party, in relationship with Mr Peters", seems odd now because months before December 2005 New Zealand First had entered a confidence and supply agreement with Labour on 17 October 2005.

Para 5, I have no knowledge of where and by whom any donation to New Zealand First was requested. I note Mr Glenn does not say I made it, or any donation was made, which is the substance of the New Zealand Herald 12 July allegation. Reported email in the New Zealand Herald, in fact contradicts his comment in his letter before you about donating to New Zealand First.

Para 6, for obvious reasons I cannot be of help here, not being part of the discussion or communication between Mr Henry or Mr Glenn.

Para 7 relating to the Karaka Sales 2006 appears to be a year out. I recall that in 2007 (and my diary confirms this) Mr Glenn and two others joined the table in which I and a friend shared a sit down lunch with about 8 leading names in the horse racing fraternity.

In my evidence to the committee and in my press statement of 18 July I did not thank him until my lawyer advised me on 18 July 2008.

My press statement of 18 July refers to my public appreciation of his help.

Yours sincerely

Rt Hon Winston Peters
Leader New Zealand First.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on Share Investor Stuff