Saturday, August 28, 2010

Michael Hill International: Tall Tales & Rumours

A little birdy told me something interesting this morning that got my mind in an overactive and speculative mood.

The move by the Hill family earlier this week to take a larger share of Michael Hill International [MHI.NZX] got me a bit hot under the collar but I put a question to an accountant client of mine this morning and asked him what he thought of the move.

He told me that when a large holder of such a stake in a business consolidates its shareholding and seeks to increase it, it is more likely an indication that the protagonist is trying to make the shareholding more attractive to a possible buyer, rather than wanting to take control of the company themselves.

My source told me when he was a director at Whitcoulls and Graehme Hart was running the show this was the approach Hart took before he sold the company to Blue Star Group.

Of course this is just more idyll speculation on my part but after thinking about the scenario it makes more sense than the reason the Emma Hill gave for wanting to take a mere 2.1% more in the company:

"...the family wants to take advantage of a depressed share price to take control. We've always wanted to buy a bigger stake in the company, and we think the stock is undervalued right now. It is just opportunistic with the right price coming at the right time."

If that is indeed the case why not pitch for a bigger stake than 2.1% more. Why not go for gold if the share price is such a bargain? (which it is I might add).

I am not saying that the Hill's are going to sell their stake any time soon but my accountant friend's thoughts should be considerd by the market because I think there is some merit in what he told me.

That is just between you and me though.


Disc I own MHI shares in the Share Investor Portfolio


Michael Hill International @ Share Investor


Hill Family makes Claytons Takeover bid for Michael Hill International
Michael Hill International Ltd: 2010 Full Year Profit Analysis
Long Term View: Michael Hill International Ltd
Michael Hill International: 2010 half year profit commentary
Michael Hill Makeover kicks off
Michael Hill International: 2009 full year profit commentary
Toughen Up: What I have learned from the hard times
Stock of the Week: Michael Hill International
Michael Hill TV3 60 Minutes Interview
Long VS Short: Michael Hill International
Marketwatch: Michael Hill International
Michael Hill's profit shines
Michael Hill takes on the windy city
Why did you buy that stock? [Michael Hill International]
MHI has defined growth strategy
MHI profit sparkles

Discuss MHI @ Share Investor Forum

Download MHI Company Reports


Buy Toughen Up: What I've Learned About Surviving Tough Times

Toughen Up: What I've Learned About Surviving Tough Times

Toughen Up - Fishpond.co.nz


c Share Investor 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on Share Investor Stuff