Monday, December 6, 2010

Consumer Alert: Rusty Kia K2900 Commercial Vehicles

I bought a brand new Kia 2900 commercial vehicle back in May from Giltrap Holden over here on the North Shore of Auckland for my Landscaping and Gardening business. Excellent specs, air con, electric this and that, great stereo, good hauling capacity and more power under the hood than most.

All for an excellent price of $28,000.00 - I haggled down from $34,000.00, I am that sort of guy.

The only problem is that there was surface rust all over it that you really couldn't see when buying.

Reluctantly Giltrap Holden had a look at it and had 2 goes at removing what was there but really were incapable of doing a proper job.

This was then forwarded onto Craig Buckley, National Sales manager for Kia, who personally came to my house to rectify the problem (excellent service from him) and to cut a long story short the job was done well and came back last week all rust proofed and shinny and better than new - save an aerial that wasn't screwed back on.

The only problem is that the rust issue was a systemic one that all these vehicles had and Chris said they had been withdrawn from sale which I agreed should be the case.

When I asked if Kia was going to contact other Kia K2900 owners about this rust issue though Chris said no and it would be up to customers to complain.

So this is a warning to owners of Kia K2900s and prospective buyers because Kia is still selling these vehicles.

This is not good enough and I thought a recall of the affected vehicles was in order.

Not good enough Kia.


Related Links

Email Kia National Sales Manager Graig Buckley

Mobile - 021 246 0779
Direct Line - 09 573 3261


New From Fishpond.co.nz


Hubbard: A Biography of Allan Hubbard



c Share Investor 2010



8 comments:

  1. Kia Motors New Zealand Limited has put in place a rectification process for the affected small shipment of K2900 cab/chassis units in New Zealand. This process involves a small number of un-sold units in storage as well as the few units sold to customers.

    Kia Motors New Zealand has addressed the issue which unfortunately affected Mr. Rickard’s unit and has acted promptly and effectively in putting in place the rectification process which commenced in November 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for commenting but I was told by Kia's Craig Buckley that those already sold the rusty vehicles would not be notified and that they would have to be proactive to get their vehicles fixed.

    Have these owners now been notified?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this article on Facebook.

    I am a 2900 owner and am concerned. I have not been contacted by either Kia or the dealer that sold me the vehicle.

    I would like to know why I haven't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia K2900 Owner:
    You would only be contacted if your vehicle was from the small number of vehicles affected – if you are concerned, then please contact your supplying dealer and book your vehicle in for a check.

    Similar advice applies to K2900 owners who have bought their vehicle this year and who have not been contacted – please book it in to your local dealer for a check.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I was a bit confused about what was happening as Chris told me that this wasn't going to happen.

    Well done on doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very unimpressed with your lawns and gardening website. It looks like it was created in the early 1990's. Why are you not advertising your business with the same efforts you put into your share investing websites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi SB,

    don't need to advertise as all my "offline" work now comes from referrals so the online stuff is just a bonus if it comes.

    This really isn't the place to discuss that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about being snippy SB (long term lack of sleep)

    Yeah you are right. If I put as much effort into what allowed me to get a share portfolio in the first place my business would be much bigger and actually employ full time people.

    I turn away way more work than I accept and that has been the case for about 15 years (the first 5 I went hell for leather and advertised)

    I just want to leave it where it is though and milk it for as much cash as I can get.

    Love the job and the customers but just want to leave the size of the business the same.

    ReplyDelete

Comment on Share Investor Stuff