Sky City Entertainment Group [SKC.NZ] has been named by Bruce Sheppard as one of his list of NZX companies with debt worries.
Now that time has passed since Bruce debt analysis, on June 30 2008 figures, lets take a look and see whether his criticism about high debt levels is now warranted.
Lets look at company debt levels from the last 5 years:
|FIVE YEAR SUMMARY|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
| As at 30 June ||2008||2007||2006||2005||2004|
|Derivative financial instruments||-||-||25||-||-|
|Total current liabilities||121,668||119,501||100,801||197,763||194,619|
|Subordinated debt - capital notes||123,772||123,756||123,720||121,510||149,644|
|Subordinated debt - SKYCITY ACES||186,538||161,410||177,956||-||-|
|Deferred tax liabilities||77,891||52,992||60,596||45,438||-|
|Derivative financial instruments||23,561||50,774||3,072||-||-|
|Other term liabilities||-||-||-||-||27,216|
|Total Non-current liabilities||1,089,646||1,141,934||1,316,248||1,123,743||765,737|
|Total liabilities||1,211,314||1,261,435||1,417,049||1,321,506|| |
|Interest cover (EBITDA/Net Interest)||3.8x||3.3x||3.3x||3.4x||5.1x|
We can see then that debt incurring interest or charges (of all different types) nearly doubled from 2004-2006 to over NZ $1.3 billion at its highest (due mainly to buying and financing Adelaide and Darwin casinos and cinema assets.) but since then, at balance date 30 June 2008, (Bruce's debt level comparison date) debt had been paid down to just under $1.1 billion.
In addition to that, the company has paid back $84 million with the proceeds of a capital raising and other debt reductions to take total debt to below $ 800 million, still high but more manageable and it leaves net debt to ebitda ratios that Bruce worried about down from 3.8x in June 2008 to below 2.5x as at 9 July 2009, the lowest ratio in 5 years.
This has further been alleviated by a large increase in profit and revenue for the 2009 Full Year result to be announced 26 August.
As I said above, debt levels are still very high but steps have been taken to change that and with good management the company has put itself in a position so that the business is functioning well and is an even better position now to consolidate this debt.
As interesting as Bruce Sheppard's company debt analysis has been it would be even more interesting to see how June 2008 stacks up with June 2009.
In Sky City's case I think he might assess that they have addressed his worries.
They have mine.
Disclosure: I own SKC shares in the Share Investor Portfolio
Sky City Entertainment Group @ Share Investor
- Insider Trading on Sky City shares
- Sky City Profit Upgrade: Always on the Cards
- Sky City's Current Cinema "Boom" a Horror Story in Disguise
- Stock of the Week: Sky City Entertainment Group
- Sky City share offer confusing and unfair for smaller shareholders
- Sky City CEO doubles down
- Sky City Entertainment 2009 Interim Profit Review
- Sky City Entertainment 2009 Interim Result Preamble
- 2008 Sky City profit analysis
- Sky City Entertainment 2008 Full Year profit results , NZX release, 2008 full year presentation, result briefing webcast, financial statements
- Sky City 2008 profit preamble
- Sky City outlines a clear future plan
- As recession bites Sky City bites back
- Sky City Assets: Buy, sell and hold
- Why did you buy that stock? [Sky City Entertainment]
- Sky City Share Volumes set tongues wagging
- Sky City half year exceptional on cost cutting
- NZX Press release: Sky City profit to HY end Dec 2007
- Sky City Cinemas no Blockbuster
- Sky City Entertainment share price drop
- New Broom set to sweep
- Sky City Management: Blind, deaf and numb
- Sky City sale could be off
- Opposition to takeover
- Premium for control
- Sky City receives takeover bid
- Sky City Casino Full Year Profit to June 30 2007
- Setting the record straight
- Sky City CEO resigns
- Sky City Casino: Under performing
- Sky City Casino 2007 HY Profit(analysis)
- Sky City Casino 2007 HY Profit
Discuss this stock @ Share Investor Forum
You have to register at Share Investor Forum to see this content
Full 5 Year Financial Summary - Where the table above comes from
Correspondence between Bruce Sheppard & Sky City over debt levels
Sky City July Debt payback
Related Amazon Reading
Casino Industry in Asia Pacific: Development, Operation, And Impact by Cathy Hsu
Buy new: $155.00 / Used from: $157.53
Usually ships in 24 hours
c Share Investor 2009